My ex and I share a house. How do we deal with a conflict?


Q. As portion of our divorce, we agreed to the two dwell in the identical residence for about two years — until our youngest graduates from substantial college. Then we’re intended to market or obtain every other out. But the challenge now is that we agreed I would remain in the learn bedroom and he would stay in a visitor place, but now he desires to adjust that. What can I do and still retain things civil?

— Finding upset

A. We’re sorry to listen to about your divorce.

There is no question that partners who determine to cohabitate following a divorce will operate into some disagreements.

You should initial attempt to remind him that you want to keep matters civil, explained Jody D’Agostini, a accredited monetary planner with Equitable Advisors/The Falcon Economical Team in Morristown.

She explained you really should inform him that you do not want to contain specialists since it would be high-priced in several techniques to both equally of you, she claimed.

“If you can’t solve the subject, then you would need to have to have interaction a spouse and children law legal professional to file a contempt motion to enforce your settlement,” D’Agostini explained. “You can also file pro-se — by yourself — as effectively.”

You would need to contact the court clerk in the jurisdiction of your divorce, she said, and you can also ask for that your ex fork out all of your lawyer expenses.

Good luck to you.

E mail your thoughts to Talk

Karin Value Mueller writes the Bamboozled column for NJ Progress Media and is the founder of Observe NJMoneyHelp on Twitter @NJMoneyHelp. Find NJMoneyHelp on Facebook. Indication up for’s weekly e-e-newsletter.


Resource connection